Okay, I'm begging for more blogs, so I figure I should try to be helpful to those who want to get online. So, this is the first in a series of posts.
These tips are all from Seth Godin. He is the MAN.
1) Be selfless. Link to other blogs. Do it a lot. Have a blogroll or a list of friends, or both. Learn how to trackback.
2) It's not who you are, it's what you say. Be specific, be clear.
3) Start conversations. Then don't try to control them. Passion.
4) You wouldn't let a doctor with a pierced tongue do heart surgery, and you wouldn't trust a blog that looks like a cat threw up on it. (This probably isn't 100% true for arts blogs, but the unfortunate point is that design does matter.)
5) Blogs should be based on Candor, Urgency, Timeliness, Pithiness, and Controversy.
6) Be sure people can tell you what they think of your ideas. Comments. Trackback. Put an email address right at the top of your blog. Don't you want to know when people are reading and talking about what you wrote?
7) It's not what you say, it's who you are. Make sure people know who's talking to them. Do you have an about page or something like that? (I'm know I'm breaking this rule right now, but we're still in beta, right?)
8) The best blogs are honest, interesting, and updated frequently.
9) When you start your amazing blog, tell everyone.